Wednesday 26 October 2016

Rome wasn't built in a day...

Finally! Why did I wait so long? Oh, where am I going to put everything now?

The rollercoaster of emotion is a see-saw of extremes for today's miniature gamers. I was thrilled to have finally put together the terrain packs that had been stuffed into a box somewhere. Flushed with the sense of accomplishment and victory I wondered why I had put it off so long. Then I went to put it away. Hmm. Time for creative solutions, my first idea, to create a Dark Age diorama as a centerpiece for our dining table, was a thought quickly taken out behind the chemical sheds and executed by my dear wife. So too my follow up plans of hiding the model buildings on various shelves and tables on display, all followed the diorama idea into what was becoming a mass-grave of creative storage concepts. Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled to have finally got it all together, it's just now I have to deal with it assembled. I didn't think that far ahead.




These are the terrain sets that come with the two-player starter set for Dystopian Legions: Iron Scorpion. Nice, easy to put together and offering a lot of options in terms of layout. They were a bunch of flat laser cut boards, now they appear to take up more space. These will be used in our upcoming Mordheim campaign!


15mm Scale Dark Age huts from 4Ground. They are very nice. Strong, detailed, prepainted, and cleverly designed. 4Ground make some of the absolute best MDF terrain I have seen. Great stuff.
A couple of their buildings (I prepared these earlier) during a game of Song of Blades and Heroes. They look great on the table.

Well. Glad to have finally knocked that job off my 'Hobby-to-do' list, especially the Spartan stuff, which we'll be using for some Mordheim terrain... But now I have to figure out where it all goes. If this isn't a first world problem of magnitude, I don't know what is (another first world problem of magnitude).

***
I finished off the evening with a quick game of Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League with my lad. It's a pretty simple two-player pick up and deliver game, where players try and score the most points delivering goods and passengers around a solar system. Good fun...






6 comments:

  1. Ah, storage. The hidden reality of our hobby! I'very often held back from a project because of the thorny issue of storage. Normally I plough ahead anyway. But I fear the loft may not accommodate much more... Still, modern city buildings, a Saxon village, Roman Villa, Mega-City One anday more Spanish Peninsular buildings simply must be made. I can hear the rafters groaning already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It's one of the reasons I collect and play games in small scales. Having said that, I do seem to be growing the number of them at an alarming rate!

      Delete
  2. Ah, storage. The hidden reality of our hobby! I'very often held back from a project because of the thorny issue of storage. Normally I plough ahead anyway. But I fear the loft may not accommodate much more... Still, modern city buildings, a Saxon village, Roman Villa, Mega-City One anday more Spanish Peninsular buildings simply must be made. I can hear the rafters groaning already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks mate! Can't wait to actually get it on the table! :D

      Delete
  4. Yep, the 4Ground stuff is amazing :)

    ReplyDelete