Tuesday 6 December 2011

Preamble and welcome...


Welcome to the inaugural post on Castle by Moonlight.  I suppose the thing to do would be to kick off with an insightful and philosophically rich discussion of some topic or other.  However, doing this would lead to a level of expectation that would far outstrip my meagre abilities.  Such a post will happen, possibly, so you’d better subscribe now in case you miss it when/if it does!

No, this post I’ll focus on the basics.  My name is Giles Pritchard, found elsewhere on the interwebs under the nom-de-plume ‘caradoc’.  As my profile states, I’m a husband and father.  I teach in a primary school - which is challenging at times but also very rewarding.  I love board games among other hobbies.

Castle by Moonlight is a blog I’ve been contemplating for some time.  While you can find me on twitter, on the worlds biggest and best board game website - Boardgamegeek, and while I contribute to two excellent podcasts - The Dice Tower and On Board Games, I’ve always wanted an online space to post about a variety of things.

Castle by Moonlight will cover all those things I enjoy; a large part of what is posted will be about board games and the board gaming hobby, but I’ll also write about teaching, podcasts and podcasting, as well as various other miscellany of interest to me.

Why ‘Castle by Moonlight’?  When I started thinking about beginning a blog I wondered a lot about whether I would be able to maintain regular postings, what it should be about and importantly, what name it should assume.  Castle by Moonlight somewhat pompously refers to myself and my life (my castle as it were), and my reflections on those things that interest me.  I’m also something of a night-owl, and love taking my telescope out to look at the moon and the planets as they (appear to) move overhead.  While a large part of what will make up the content of this blog will be about board games, I didn’t want to pigeon-hole it to one topic, so I wanted something of a generic name.  I’m not sure I’m 100% happy with it, but I had to start somewhere.

In any case, this rather hum-drum preamble to my blog should wind up and make way for (hopefully) more interesting content.  If you have any suggestions, criticisms or comments - please feel free to leave them!

Giles.

6 comments:

  1. WOOP WOOP Inaugural post amd inaugural comment! I must make the most of this auspicious moment... uh ho too late. Nice work bro, looking forward to many more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - hopefully they are actually more interesting to read than the fine print on a cereal box. Time shall tell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehehe i'm sure it'll be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of luck - let the string theory commence

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the best with the latest endeavour Giles, I enjoy your games and teaching segments on the 'On Board Games' podcast, this promises to be a little more tactile. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments and encouragement! Hopefully what I blog will be worth reading!

    Cheers,

    Giles.

    ReplyDelete